Thursday, April 21, 2016

Trip Goodies!

Being gone for 18 days, you have plenty of time to collect some great goodies along the route.  I was limited, since my car was full from the start (lots of stuff for the TOGA, and for friends/family).

When I travel alone, I stop at antique stores, instead of restaurants (I can eat jerky while I drive).  Much more fun to walk around antique stores, than to sit (again) and just eat. 

While gone, I stopped at 2 quilt stores, a Hancock Fabrics (going out of business) and purchased fabrics at the TOGA.  Here is what I bought.  I thought I was pretty conservative.
all the fabric I came home with
I also got some patterns and quilt books.
patterns

quilt books
I have one of the jacket patterns above, but, I'm not sure where it is.  I really need to finish some jackets that I started several years ago.  I did make 2 jackets (one for a friend, and a matching one for me) several years ago.

I stopped in Tulsa (both ways) and gave the 2nd Leg Lamp quilt to Betty.  She claimed it, back last summer, when she saw the first one.  I told her she couldn't have it until after my guilds quilt show in March.
Betty and her Leg Lamp quilt
Betty gave me a few crocheted wash cloths she had made.  I also collected a few others on the trip.
Betty made the green and the yellow & orange cloths
I stopped at a few thrift stores in Tulsa, too.  I picked up 2 mini quilts, for 99 cents each.  I just can't pass them up when they are priced so low.  The 2nd mini quilt is hand quilted, too.
mini quilt

2nd mini quilt
At the TOGA, in the middle of the fabric and notions, from the ladies stash, I spotted something RED.  Of course, RED is my favorite color.  I had to check it out.  It was priced at $3, since it needs to be repaired in a few places.
Grandmother's Flower garden quilt top
I'll work on repairing it, and, who knows, I might even quilt it one day.

My aunt was going thru some of her mother's things.  She gave me these things.  I remember her mother well.  She'd have us over for Sunday lunch, with all of her family (a very large group).  She and her husband lived next door to my aunt and uncle. 
lovely lace tablecloth

teapot and some pretties
I spotted some other lovely lacy items on my trip, too.
another lace table cloth

two lace table runners

embroidered and crocheted items
I choose a bag from the TOGA table, and found 2 zippered bags in Texas themes, later in the trip.
a few bags
I also picked up a few miscellaneous sewing notions, too.
sewing notions
Of course, I also found another teapot.  My mother collects elephants, so, I'm always on the lookout for elephants.  She isn't getting this one (I'd already picked up an elephant for her, earlier in the trip).
elephant teapot
Of course, a couple of sewing machines followed me home (DUH!)  The two littlest ones are from Lisa.  Thanks Lisa!
musical treadle, mini treadle, and sewing machine salt cellar
Yes, some larger machines also followed me home.  3 of these are junkers.  A local friend wants to trade me her treadle head (keeping the treadle base) for a junker, so that she can turn the junker into a sewing machine tractor for her husband.  I was given 3 different junkers (all the same model, Singer 127).  I may use one to see if I can repaint it, since it's already a junker. 
junker #1

junker #2

junker #3 (this one was made in Singer's Russian plant)
I also purchased 2 other machines.  The first one is from the TOGA, the 2nd one, my uncle found for me.
1920 Singer 66 #G8150064

1912 Singer 15 #G2449799
I've been sewing on a Singer 15, with the same decal set.  I also have a collection of Singer 66's with Red Eye decals (my favorite, since it has red in it).  They should both clean up nicely.

Of course, I'd purchased a Bradbury Family VS hand crank last August, from a lady in Florida (I already have another machine that she had owned, previously).  Lisa picked up my Bradbury, while she was traveling cross country, to pick up some other vintage machines.  Lisa delivered it to me at the TOGA. Thanks Lisa!
Bradbury Family VS #D22822 (1906-1915, most likely)

back of Bradbury Family VS
Yes, I took 2 machines on the trip, and came home with 8 machines, total.  I could have come home with LOTS more, if I'd just had the room. 



6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a collection! I wonder how much room there was for you in the car! Sounds like a super time and great visits. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you did pretty good and maybe it's good that the car is full, :). Is the Hancock's you visited that's going out of business the same one that did internet sales? When I read that I tried to visit but it looks like they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many cool things! I thought I was the only one who kept the junker machines to be used in some artistic endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a haul! Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a busy time! Glad to hear you are safely home.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the stuff you got! I have something for you, I am just terrible about sending things snail mail, but will get it sent one day - I promise! I have no excuse since I can walk to the post office now. We stop at antique stores to stretch our legs, when travelling, also.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).