Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My New Double Sewing Cabinet

Shortly before I headed out on vacation, I found a great, Parson's double sewing cabinet.  The lady had painted it way back in the 1980's, and, while it was pretty, it just wasn't 'me'.  It was yellow sponge painted with purple flowers stenciled on it.

Parson's sewing cabinet BEFORE I repainted it

cabinet that came with the sewing cabinet BEFORE I repainted it
even the legs were stenciled

Since it would be too much work to strip the cabinet and refinish it in the original wood tone, I decided to repaint it white, and stencil some 'sewing' items on it. 

First, let me state that painting is NOT my thing.  I'm not that good, and I know it.  As for the stencils, I quickly found out that the Sharpies Paint pens I used will 'bleed' if you use a stencil.  Oops!  I had to repaint, twice over my first try.  After that, I used a pencil to trace the stencil pattern, then used the Sharpie Paint pens, freehanded, over the pencil marks.  You will be able to tell that I'm NOT an artist, but, I'm happy with the end results.  Sorry for the bad photos, it is really a bright white in color, not off-white.
smaller cabinet and drawers, repainted, with new handles

left side, near machine opening

right side, near machine opening

adjustable height machine opening, and my stencils

adjustable height machine opening, and my stencils
back, right side of machine cabinet (oops, can't see some of the stencils)

back, left side of machine cabinet (oops, can't see some of the stencils)




left side with my Spartan (before adjusting)

right side with 'Tinkerbell' (before adjusting)

the only insert that came with the cabinet (doesn't fit any of my machines, but, could be cut)

the whole cabinet

upclose of the 'missing' stencils from the earlier pictures

inside the little cabinet
Yes, I know that the little cabinet isn't centered under the big cabinet.  I knew it wouldn't be when I bought it.  I have to move it over because of the vent on the floor.  I don't want to block my AC or heat.

So far, my only problem is that my old table had TONS of junk all over it, and also under it.  All that junk now has to find new homes.  I don't want to cover this cabinet up with junk.  It makes it hard to sew anything larger than a block. 

Now to get more of my sewing space organized. 

17 comments:

  1. i've never seen a double cabinet like that before really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic cabinet! I've never seen anything like it.
    I can understand why you would want to re-paint it! Your sewing-themed stencils look much better to me than the original floral stencilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That double cabinet is a great item. You have finished it off beautifully with your sewing drawings. Good luck re-stashing everything. I just shake my head when I look into my sewing space. My excuse is that I will have to move soon so I can worry about it later.
    valspierssews

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun table you've got now. Well done on the "restorations". I love how you decorated it. You could always use the space where non of machines fit as a cutting table. It's a very useful addition to any sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat table - I've never seen one like it. You did a great job redoing it! Now it's time to enjoy! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know where the insert in with a pre-1980 Viking came from. It looks very similar to the one that came with your cabinet. I will have to get it out and compare it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to make it into a special treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you saw the possibilities and made it yours. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! You have a "Command Center".

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice! I've never heard of a Parsons table

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great table! I've seen one on a blog before - but don't think you can find them in UK. You can just switch between one machine and the other easily too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous find! Great work on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet cabinet! You can have two machines going at one time... well, two different colors threaded. Guess you will be making lots more quilts.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! I think you did just a great job on your cabinet. It is charming. You are going to really enjoy your hard work. Fun blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great cabinet! I love the stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your custom sewing table is so great! and I loved seeing the two machines in it above too, looking good Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).