Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Week of Finishes!

Usually, I'm the Queen of Unfinished projects.

my T-shirt, describes me well
Not this week, though!  I've finally got some projects DONE! (we won't count how many are still waiting to be worked on....)

First, I finished the 7 preemie quilts for my guild's philanthropy project (that were due 2 weeks ago, Oops! better late than never).  The first three quilts were made from a quilt I 'disassembled' and used the blocks from.  All the quilts have flannel backs.





showing each side (2 quilts)

showing each side (2 quilts)
Including these 7 quilts, the guild made a total of 68 preemie quilts for the local hospital.  Pretty good for a tiny group of ladies.

I also finished the embroidery on another Harry Potter The Project of Doom block.


up close of book titles
Not to totally miss out on the 'Pets on Quilts' (yes, I know, I missed the deadline).  Here is Katie on her 'moving' dog bed in my new sewing room (we can't decided just where to put the bed and her be out of the way).





This past weekend I finished a commission baby quilt.  I'd made a baby quilt (my first) for one of hubby's co-workers.  For the 2nd baby (same co-worker) I cheated and purchased a baby quilt.  Well, that purchased baby quilt was 'loved' to death.

'loved' to death baby quilt
I was asked if I could possibly make a replacement quilt, just like this one.  All I had to go on was this picture and her guess of block sizes.  I've never sewn on Minkee before (boy does that stuff s-t-r-e-t-c-h).  Hubby helped me spray baste the top and bottom together (no batting in the original, so, no batting in this one, either).

top & bottom spray basted together (yes, I also used safety pins, just in case)
Since I can't free motion quilt AT ALL, I decided to straight line quilt on my Janome.  Hopefully, there is enough quilting in it to help hold it together for a L-O-N-G time.

straight line quilting on my Janome
Here is the finished quilt.

top of finished quilt

top & back of finished quilt
 I bound this quilt in pink Minkee.  It worked really well (didn't stretch on the binding).  I quilted it in variegated thread.  I just love variegated threads.

On Tuesday, we had a Quilts of Valor sew-in at Sewing,Etc in Yorkville. 





I finally finished my string quilt that I've been working on.  I've only sewn on it at sew-ins. 

my finished string quilt top
I will be attending the River Rat TOGA in Minnesota in September.  This is a group of vintage sewing machine enthusiasts.  This will be my 2nd TOGA.

They are having a block exchange with the TOGA.  I decided to make a set of blocks on my new blue treadle, Victor.

Victor, my newest treadle
I only made 10 blocks because I ran out of this blue fabric. 

10 bow-tie blocks

finished bow-tie block on Victor
I had to change from the lovely blue belt on Victor (it was too short for this cabinet).  Sewing on this treadle was FUN!  

Since today is Thursday, I'm off to the regularly scheduled Thursday sew-in at Prairie Stitches quilt shoppe.  Maybe I'll get another Harry Potter block embroidered. 

10 comments:

  1. You have really been busy!!! The premie quilts are very cute. I use Minkee or the Moda equivalent, Cuddle Cloth, on lots of baby quilts. I just pin about every 3-4" and use a walking foot. I've never tried to free-motion on it. And I've never tried using the Minkee for binding - now I may have too! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor is looking good! Of course, we all dress our best to be with the Queen. LOL
    Love your string finish! I love the sashing and 9 patch corner stones. Good idea.
    That baby quilt is soooo pretty. Love the colors, and it's Minkie!!!!!!!!!! How luxurious.
    Been missing you - came over to see your blog last night - thought I must have missed a post. You've been so busy!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like lots is getting accomplished. Very cute quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of pretties and days of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby quilt turned out beautifully! I would have never thought to bind with minky . . . a new idea to add to my list of things to try!

    And your dog is too, too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Harry Potter glasses, the string quilt, the helicopter preemie quilt and the blue treadle Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the helicopter, love the string quilts, love the blue Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the helicopter, love the string quilts, love the blue Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my son loved his first baby blanket "to death" too LOL!!! But it was not a quilt that I made - hopefully my grandkids are getting quilts from me that will hold up better. The new one you've done looks like it will hold up a nice long time :*) The little preemie quilts are really cute and very creative to use blocks you've already made! Our guild makes preemie quilts for the local hospitals too. And girlfriend - that string quilt is beautiful!!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).